Posted on: March 13th, 2019, | By Brian & Maple, WayKen Project Manager
Admitted or not, aluminum parts are widely adopted in applying for CNC aluminum. Many of you may have not considered the question of why aluminum parts are so well welcomed, leading the booming of a related manufacturing business, such as automotive prototyping with the material.
With the rapid development of the industrial economy, the demand for different grades of aluminum welded structural parts is increasing, and the research on the weldability of aluminum alloys is also deepened. Aluminum alloys are currently the most widely used alloys. Aluminum alloys can be divided into different series depending on the content of alloying elements.
Here, WayKen, one of the most specialized manufacturers in rapid prototyping and low-volume production, will share with you some knowledge about why aluminum prototyping is commonly welcomed nowadays.
The Advantages of Aluminum
- Weather Resistance
- Impact Resistance
- Solvent Resistance
- High-temperature Sterilization
Aluminum has become the world's most widely used metal in addition to steel and is an important raw material for many industries of the national economy and the military and aerospace industries.
With the continued maturation and improvement of aluminum processing technology, it will be further accelerated for the development of lightweight aluminum-based steel and automobiles, and continue to be expanded for the application of aluminum products. WayKen processed CNC aluminum parts have been involved in various industries.
Commonly Used Aluminum Processing Materials
Aluminum is light and has strong plasticity and recyclability, but its softness making it a poor choice for mechanical applications.
However, if aluminum is mixed with other elements, including magnesium, silicon, copper, and zinc, under heat treatment, it will form what we often call aluminum alloy.
Aluminum alloy has good strength. For super hard alloy, it can reach 600Mpa, and for common hard sort, 200-450Mpa. Therefore, it has been widely used in the machinery manufacturing industry.
Aluminum alloy 5052 (AL 5052)
The 5052 aluminum alloy belongs to the Al-Mg alloy and has a wide range of applications. Especially in the construction industry, it is inseparable from the alloy and is the most promising alloy with good corrosion resistance, excellent weldability, good cold workability, and medium strength. The main alloying element of 5052 aluminum alloy is magnesium, which has good forming and processing properties, corrosion resistance, weldability, and medium strength. It is used in the manufacture of aircraft fuel tanks, oil pipes, and sheet metal parts for transportation vehicles and ships, instruments and street lamp brackets. Rivets, hardware, electric-shells, etc.
5052 aluminum alloy is the most widely used rust-proof aluminum. This alloy has high strength, especially anti-fatigue strength: high plasticity and corrosion resistance, no heat treatment strengthening, plasticity are good in semi-cold hardening, cold work. It has low plasticity during hardening, good corrosion resistance, good weldability, poor machinability, and polishing. Uses are mainly used for low load parts requiring high plasticity and good weldability in liquid or gaseous media, such as fuel tanks, gasoline or lube oil conduits, various liquid containers and other small load parts made with deep drawing: The wire is used to make rivets.
(1) The hot state of the alloy is good in plasticity. The forging and die forging temperatures are 420 to 475 ° C, and the deformation rate is >80% thermal deformation in this temperature range.
(2) The cold stamping performance is related to the alloy state. The cold stamping performance in the annealing (O) state is good, the H32 and H34 states are second, and the H36/H38 state is not good.
- Welding performance
(1) The gas welding, arc welding, electric resistance welding, spot welding and seam welding performance of the alloy are good, and there is a tendency of crystal cracks during the argon arc welding. The brazing performance is good and the soldering performance is poor.
(2) The strength and plasticity of the weld are high, and the weld strength is 90%~95% of the strength of the base metal. However, the airtightness of the weld is not high. It is recommended to use 5A03 alloy as the solder to improve the airtightness and eliminate the tendency of cracks.
The cutting performance of the alloy in the annealed state is not good, and it is improved in the cold work hardening state.
Aluminum alloy 6061 (AL 6061)
6061 aluminum alloy is a high-quality aluminum alloy produced by heat treatment pre-stretching process. Its strength can not be compared with 2XXX series or 7XXX series, but its magnesium and silicon alloys have many characteristics, and it has excellent processing performance and excellent welding characteristics. It has excellent characteristics such as electroplating property, good corrosion resistance, high toughness and no deformation after processing, compact and defect-free materials, easy polishing, easy filming and excellent oxidation. 6061 aluminum alloy element
The main alloying elements of 6061 aluminum alloy are magnesium and silicon, and form Mg2Si phase. 6061-T6 is a heat-treated corrosion-resistant alloy with good strength, corrosion resistance, and uniformity. The use of 6061-T6 material in the assembly of aluminum parts makes processing not prone to deformation and tolerance problems, and in the process of post-treatment, aluminum parts can also have excellent post-oxidation treatment.
The Mg2Si is solid-dissolved in aluminum, which gives the alloy an artificial age hardening function. The main alloying elements in 6061 aluminum alloy are magnesium and silicon, which have medium strength, good corrosion resistance, weldability and good oxidation effect.
The characteristics of magnesium aluminum 6061
Magnesium aluminum 6061-T651 is the main alloy of the 6-series alloy, is a high-quality aluminum alloy product after heat treatment pre-stretching process; magnesium aluminum 6061 has excellent processing properties, good corrosion resistance, high toughness And after processing, it is not deformed, the film is easy to be formed, and the oxidation effect is excellent. Main use: Widely used in various industrial structural parts requiring high strength and high corrosion resistance, such as manufacturing trucks, tower buildings, ships, trams, railway vehicles.
Typical use of AL 6061
- The application of strips is widely used in decoration, packaging, construction, transportation, electronics, aviation, aerospace, weapons and other industries.
- Aerospace aluminum is used to make aircraft skins, fuselage frames, girders, rotors, propellers, fuel tanks, siding and landing gear pillars, as well as rocket forging rings, spacecraft siding and so on.3. Aluminum for transportation is used for car body structure materials of automobiles, subway vehicles, railway passenger cars and high-speed passenger cars, doors and windows, shelves, automobile engine parts, air conditioners, radiators, body panels, wheels and ships.
- Aluminum for packaging All aluminum cans are mainly used as metal packaging materials in the form of thin plates and foils, and can be made into cans, lids, bottles, barrels and packaging foils. Widely used in packaging of beverages, food, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, cigarettes, industrial products, etc.
- aluminum for printing is mainly used to make PS plate. Aluminum-based PS plate is a new material for printing industry, used for automatic plate making and printing.
- aluminum alloy aluminum for architectural decoration is widely used in building structures, doors and windows, ceilings, decorative surfaces, etc. due to its good corrosion resistance, sufficient strength, excellent process performance and welding performance. Such as various building doors and windows, curtain wall aluminum profiles, aluminum curtain wall panels, profiled panels, tread panels, color coated aluminum panels.
- Aluminum for electronic home appliances is mainly used in various busbars, wires, conductors, electrical components, refrigerators, air conditioners, cables and other fields. Specifications: round rods, square rods Representative applications include aerospace fixtures, electrical fixtures,and communications.
Aluminum alloy 6063 (AL 6063)
6063 aluminum alloy is widely used in the construction of aluminum doors and windows, curtain wall frame, in order to ensure high wind pressure resistance, assembly performance, corrosion resistance and decorative performance of doors, windows and curtain walls, the comprehensive performance requirements of aluminum alloy profiles are far Higher than industrial profile standards.
In the range of 6063 aluminum alloy specified in the Chinese standard GB/T3190, the chemical composition values are different, and different material properties are obtained. When the chemical composition range is large, the performance difference will fluctuate within a wide range. As a result, the overall performance of the profile cannot be controlled.
The chemical composition of 6063 aluminum alloy has become the most important part of the production of high-quality aluminum alloy building profiles.
6063 aluminum alloy is a medium-strength heat-tremble strengthening alloy in AL-Mg-Si system. Mg and Si are the main alloying elements. The main work of the chemical composition is to determine the percentage of Mg and Si (mass fraction, the same below).
- The influence of Mg
Mg and Si on the strengthening phase Mg2Si, the higher the content of Mg, the more the amount of Mg2Si, the greater the heat treatment strengthening effect, the higher the tensile strength of the profile, but the deformation resistance is also When the alloy is increased, the plasticity of the alloy is lowered, the processability is deteriorated, and the corrosion resistance is deteriorated.
- The influence of Si
The number of Si should be such that all Mg in the alloy can exist in the form of Mg2Si phase to ensure that the effect of Mg is fully exerted. As the Si content increases, the grain size of the alloy becomes finer, the fluidity of the metal increases, the casting performance becomes better, the heat treatment strengthening effect increases, the tensile strength of the profile increases, the plasticity decreases, and the corrosion resistance deteriorates.
Aluminum alloy 7075 (AL 7075)
7075 aluminum alloy is a cold-treated forging alloy with high strength, far better than mild steel. 7075 is one of the most powerful alloys for commercial use. 7075 aluminum alloy has a compact structure and strong corrosion resistance, and is the best for aviation and marine panels. The fine grain makes the deep drilling performance better and the tool wear resistance is enhanced.
Zinc is the main alloying element in 7075. Adding magnesium to an alloy containing 3%-7.5% zinc can form MgZn2 with remarkable strengthening effect, which makes the heat treatment effect of the alloy far better than the aluminum-zinc binary alloy. Increasing the zinc and magnesium content in the alloy will further increase the tensile strength, but its ability to resist stress corrosion and flaking corrosion will decrease. Subject to heat treatment, very high strength properties can be achieved.
7075 materials are generally added with a small amount of copper, chromium and other alloys. Among them, 7075-T651 aluminum alloy is especially top grade. It is known as the best product in aluminum alloy, with high strength and far better than any mild steel. This alloy has good mechanical and anodic reaction. Representative applications include aerospace, mold processing, mechanical equipment, fixtures, and especially for the manufacture of aircraft structures and other high-stress structures that require high strength and corrosion resistance.
The aerospace industry, blow molding (bottle) mold, ultrasonic plastic welding mold, golf head, shoe mold, paper mold, foam molding mold, wax removal mold, template, fixture, mechanical equipment, mold processing, For the production of high-end aluminum alloy bicycle frame.
- High strength heat treatable alloy.
- Good mechanical properties.
- Good usability.
- Easy to process and good wear resistance.
- Good corrosion resistance and oxidation resistance.
Why Do Machine Aluminum Products with CNC?
CNC machined aluminum parts can be processed into pentahedron at one time. The complex surface of them can be handled with high precision and the five-axis machining center can be used for the processing of modern molds, such as automobile parts and aircraft structural parts.
CNC aluminum machining is one of the most important and mature businesses of WayKen. We have experienced design teams and programmers who can review each project efficiently and assess costs, plasticity, and complexity accurately to ensure that we are perfectly aligned with your design.
Aluminum Industry in China
China is a big country in the. Aluminum processing output and consumption have ranked first in the world for many years. There are a large number of small and medium-sized aluminum enterprises in China, but they have poor performance in industrial concentration.
Besides, there are also obvious problems of redundant construction and irrational structures within the industry. The vicious competition in the market is relatively prominent, which affects the sound development of aluminum processing factories.
In recent years, with the government's efforts to rectify and standardize the market order and the further application of survival of the fittest in market competition, the aluminum products have experienced rapid growth in the total market volume, while the industrial structure has also been gradually optimized.
At present, China’s aluminum industry has already crossed the primary development stage characterized by quantitative growth. It has initially entered a new period of improving product intrinsic quality, enriching product categories, and developing comprehensive strength for market competition, well welcomed by worldwide.